Friday, April 04, 2008

Eeewww

This is Andy, looking into the Seattle Center's butterfly exhibit, saying "please can we go in Mommy?" over and over. I had told him no, and I don't want him to adopt my phobias, so I didn't tell him that while I think butterflies are pretty, I do NOT want a large winged INSECT to land on me. I've never understood how people can suspend their insect phobias when it comes to butterflies and, while we're at it, ladybugs. But this vision of Andy pressed against the glass, asking if we could please go in with all the other kids, well obviously I sucked it up and went in.
Andy was hoping a butterfly would land on his arm, and walked around with his arm out just in case one wanted to. None did, but he got to see lots of butterflies close up. He carried the butterfly chart around and identified several of them. Sylvia was mesmerized by the butterlies overhead.
Then, more eeewww. I walked by at first when I saw what this woman was holding, but realized that my son probably would just LOVE to pet a cockroach, so I sucked it up again and asked him if he wanted to go see a real, giant bug. Of course he did. And yes, he did pet the cockroach. Eww.

No comments: